[asterisk-dev] Testing of SIP TCP/TLS support

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Mon Jul 9 18:13:56 CDT 2007

Brett Bryant has been working as an intern here at Digium for the
Summer.  After completing his updates to Mantis, he has been working on
various Asterisk bugs and new features.  One of these has been working
on TCP and TLS support for SIP.  I think that there is still some work
to be done to get the client side of TLS working, but it's close.  The
TCP part appears to be working well in our tests here.  Also, accepting
TLS connections should be working, as well.  I'd like to invite anyone
interested to take a look and test it out.

$ svn co http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/team/bbryant/sip-tcptls

Please send any feedback to this mailing list.

Here is a quick reference to the configuration changes.  All of these
are in configs/sip.conf.sample, as well.

To enable listening for TCP connections, there are 3 options in the
general section: tcpenable, tcpbindaddr, and tcpbindport.

To enable listening for TLS connections, there are 4 options in the
general section: tlsenable, tlsbindaddr, tlsbindport, and tlscertfile.

To specify a transport to be used for a registration, it is specified at
the beginning of the register statement.  For example:

register => tcp://russell:password@digium.com/1234

To specify a transport to use when connecting to a peer, you can put the
"transport" option in a peer section.  For example, "transport=tcp".

--
Russell Bryant
Software Engineer