[asterisk-dev] possible zaptel problem with SMP and RAID1

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Mon Jul 9 16:52:33 CDT 2007

Steven Critchfield wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 16:30 -0400, Steve Totaro wrote:
>
>> You should try OrecX and passive recording for your needs if you have
>> not considered this before.  I could record ~200 simultaneous calls with
>> OrecX's software with perfect quality.  With Asterisk, all calls would
>> start getting choppy at ~75 simultaneous calls.  With OrecX's solution,
>> the Asterisk box has no knowledge that the call is even being recorded,
>> so no I/O, no drive space, no bottlenecks.
>>

> Nice suggestion, but not useful for me. My call recordings are
> controlled by asterisk and our in house app. There is only a single
> party to the call, and the point is to have a controlled recording of
> the one person on the line.
>
> Specifically, our software with asterisk is a telephone dictation
> system.

I guess that would not work if you are never passing IP packets.

I worked closely with the OrecX guys to get their software to where it
is now.  I actually paid for the development of the NativeCallID file
naming scheme so I could capture the SIPcallID from Asterisk into a
database and match the recording with the actual call in the client's CRM.

This was a call center application so we used the time the call came in
and the time it was answered by an agent to trim out the music on hold.
In the end, it worked flawlessly to provide very high volume in
simultaneous call recording and and seamless integration into their
existing CRM.

Maybe helpful to you some day, maybe not...  I just could not see
shelling out $150k that packaged solutions were asking (Verint and
TelRex for instance) or doing some kind of crazy RAM disk mojo.

Thanks,
Steve