[asterisk-dev] Deprecate non SASL authentication in res_jabber

Philippe Sultan philippe.sultan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 10:07:08 CDT 2007

Hi Matt,

thanks for your answer.

On 7/2/07, Matt O'Gorman <mogorman at digium.com> wrote:
> I dont see having support for the older deprecated mode as too much cruft to have, as well as adding backwards compatibility for older servers.  Maybe at some point in the far future it would make sense to junk it but I think it would be silly to do now

Well, I agree that we could keep both authentication methods. However,
I can see two reasons not to keep the non-SASL authentication method :
- that would simplify the code (jabber_make_auth() would disappear, as
well as some occurrences of 'usesasl');
- the standards recommend not to use it for clients (see
http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0078.html), and put the burden of
compatibility on the servers (see
http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0073.html).

Matt, what would you think about keeping both methods for the 1.4
series, and only SASL for trunk?

Philippe