[asterisk-dev] Deprecate non SASL authentication in res_jabber

Philippe Sultan philippe.sultan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 07:42:17 CDT 2007

Hi everybody,

I'd like to have your opinion on deprecating the use of non-SASL
authentication for res_jabber in Asterisk, as SASL is the way to go.

Currently, res_jabber can be configured to authenticate as a client to
an XMPP server using SASL (the default) or non-SASL modes, through the
'usesasl' option in jabber.conf. However, non-SASL authentication,
although still supported by most XMPP servers, is now deprecated (and
*not recommended* for clients) as stated here :
- http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0078.html (non-SASL authentication)
- http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0073.html (basic IM protocol suite)

Forcing SASL authentication when connecting Asterisk as a client would
also simplify the code a little. If we agree on that, I'll modify the
SVN trunk accordingly, and simply add a warning message to the SVN 1.4
branch without modifications.

Note : authentication as a component would not be affected by these changes.

Thanks for your advices,

Philippe