[asterisk-dev] IAX2 Deadlock - Dropped Calls?

Gregory Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Sat Jan 27 05:37:24 MST 2007

Hello,
	We began experiencing an issue yesterday whereby one of our TDM
gateways, which handles IAX2 <-> Zap handoffs was dropping calls. The box in
question has 18 IAX2 peers defined, never has more than about 30 concurrent
calls and runs under what I consider a very light load. It does very light
transcoding (maybe 2-3 channels of 726 to Ulaw). We are running
SVN-branch-1.2-r51359 as of this morning on the box. I do not know what the
previous build was, but it couldn't be more than a month old. I may be able
to get that data if it is critical.

In any case;

[root at tdm-1 asterisk]# grep -c "Avoiding IAX destroy deadlock" messages
47587

That is a lot of messages.. All the call drop complaints coincide with the
timing of that message in our log files for the day.

I've looked at the code in chan_iax around that message, and I cannot
determine what is happening based on that, which shouldn't surprise anyone
as I am an idiot when it comes to code. However, I would like to get some
insight into what people think may be happening?

As a side note, we are NOT using IAX2 truning on any of our boxes, due to
continuing issues w/ DTMF pass-through between several servers.