[asterisk-dev] Is ast_channel->uniqueid really unique ?

Oded Arbel oded at atelis.net
Mon Jan 22 03:45:10 MST 2007

>From what I understand, the uniqueid field in the ast_channel is unique
for a single installation of Asterisk, and is composed of the unix
timestamp at the creation of the channel plus some running counter.

The problem I'm having, is that I don't think that a channel's uniqueid
is unique across multiple Asterisk installations - under some very
common behaviors of a multiple Asterisk installation, some channels
created on different Asterisk instances will have the same uniqueid.

I'm thinking about changing the uniqueid generation algorithm to
something that generates ids that have a high statistical probability to
be unique across multiple instances of Asterisk given some reasonable
assumptions (for example - that there are less then a few thousands of
Asterisk instances to be considered). I'm not looking for a truly
globally unique identifier, just unique enough.

Do you think that this is doable/interesting/good idea ?

--
Oded Arbel
Atelis
oded at atelis.net
Tel: +972-54-7340014
::..
Don't get me started on libtool (aka 'Hey, let's write a complex library
dependency processing application, which needs to be using graph
algorithms, in a huge shell script that actually travels backwards in
time because it's moving so slow")
    -- Dan Berlin on the subversion development mailing list