[asterisk-dev] format_xxx required?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Fri Jan 12 07:15:36 MST 2007

On Friday 12 January 2007 02:29, Ian Hailey wrote:
> Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> >On Thursday 11 January 2007 04:25, Ian Hailey wrote:
> >>I have created a new codec (i.e. codec_xxx.so) for Asterisk and would
> >>like to know if I need to also create a new format module (i.e.
> >>format_xxx.so) supporting the new format? Do the format_xxx.so modules
> >>just provide file support for the different formats (e.g. the
> >>format_gsm.so allows Asterisk to save or read data from files in GSM
> >>format)?
> >
> >That is correct.  The codec_*.so files provide translations from and to a
> >particular codec, while the format_*.so provide a method by which to store
> >frames from a particular codec to files on disk.
>
> Thanks Tilghman,
>
> So I am also correct in assuming that I do not need to implement the
> format_xxx.so as I am not insterested in saving this data to a file. In
> general is this saving to a file used when performing a monitor for
> example?

Yes.  The format is also used when reading a file/format off a disk and
re-segmenting back into frames.  If you wanted to be able to record prompts
and play them back at a future date/time, or if you wanted to send the audio
to voicemail (including sending the format to an email address), you would
need the format_*.so.

--
Tilghman