[asterisk-dev] Possible to build zaptel-SVN for same arch, different machine?

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Wed Jan 10 22:04:32 MST 2007

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Brian Capouch wrote:
>
>>From the errors I'm getting, it seems as if even in the build process,
>>as opposed to the installation phase, the build system has to have
>>access to the modules directory on the machine where it will be
>>eventually placing the modules?
>

> This is in no-way specific to Zaptel; when building 2.6.x kernel
> modules, we use the kernel's build system. Any methods for building
> modules for versions/architectures other than the one that is running
> will be the methods provided by the kernel build system.
>
> The Zaptel configure script has nothing at all to do with the kernel
> modules, in fact, it only affects the userspace portions of Zaptel.

What I was trying to do (long story) is maintain a build system on a
very new Linux install, and "fool" it during compilation into using the
kernel sources for my target machines (which are running older kernels
and older versions of the distro).

So I NFS-mount the sources used to build the kernels running on the
target (everyone is x86) machines, which I would swear in the past has
worked for me.

But it failed when it started munging in
/usr/lib/modules/<newer-version>, against includes, etc., seen in the
older kernel tree.

I'll figure out a workaround, and maybe my memory is faulty, but I would
swear that in an earlier phase of my experiences building Asterisk I did
exactly what I'm trying to do now, with success.

Thanks.

b.

believed to be clean.