[asterisk-dev] standard for channel

Olle E Johansson olle at voop.com
Wed Feb 21 02:15:58 MST 2007

20 feb 2007 kl. 21.15 skrev Clod Patry:

> im working a lot for the cli filtering ( http://bugs.digium.com/
> view.php?id=8849 ) by these days, whatch about if we make some
> standizations.
> I mean, sometimes an ast_channel is called chan, some other time
> its called ast, c, etc.
> That will make code much more clean if we standardize all these
> ast_channel to "chan".
>
> So if you read quickly the code, you will see chan, so you're
> pretty sure it's an ast_channel.
>
> And of course, that's only when theres 1 struct implicated, not 2.
>
> What's your feeling about it?

There are a lot of confusions about "channel". In some cases it's
used to point to an endpoint.

In my trainings, I'm trying to use:

- device or line		- endpoint defined in a channel configuration. Also
called a "tech" sometimes,
					   and in the worst case an "interface"
- channel			- active channel in the pbx

Zapata is a bit confusing here. We have "show peers/users" in many
channel drivers to show
devices/lines.

In zapata "show channels" show all lines.

Manager has some issues here as well as the call files syntax.

So it's not only in the source we're confused, it's in the user
interaction as well :-)

I do like all clean-ups to make things easier to understand!

/O