[asterisk-dev] Re: Kernel modules => mainline kernel

Paul Cadach paul at odt.east.telecom.kz
Wed Feb 14 12:03:55 MST 2007

Hi,

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> We commited some code. Tested it on a Fedora system. Noticed Fedora did
> a little bit of backport of a tiny kernel feature. So their 2.6.18
> kernels actually behave like 2.6.19 . This is the thing that was
> commited into zaptel 2.6.13 .
>
> Oops. This badly broke people with real 2.6.18 kernels (I didn't notice
> this at first in this 2.6.18 Debian system, as debugfs is disabled
> there). No problem: reverted the situation in Zaptel branch 1.2 .

Each feature/API change SHOULD have its onw "flag" (#define somewhere) to
allow to choose correct API usage.
Take look at chan_zap and zaptel/libpri/libss7 - chan_zap verifies presence
of required feature by checking #defines come from zaptel/libpri/libss7.

> Only to get some complaints from a member of this list who uses some
> kernel 2.6.18 from Fedora Core 5. His post was responded with: "sure,
> zaptel with build with your kernel. Just apply this tiny patch".

Complain RedHat about non-flagged backports they perform and breaks
compatibility. BTW, is the rest of zaptel compiling well? If so, Xorcom
should take care about their xpp's drivers...

As a developer you cannot track all changes made in individual
distributions, so you should have feedback channel from users who can notify
you about a problems, then you should drill this case down until
solution/workaround will be provided.

> So the net result is that installing Zaptel on your own remains a
> painful task.

Are you sure RedHat will not just disable building zaptel? If so, user will
have much more pain to re-build kernel (most distributions have their own
tricks to build kernel correctly). And, who can guarantee RedHat will
perform consistancy checks when they do such backports? They can verify just
parts needs to be build, nothing else.

WBR,
Paul.