[asterisk-dev] Re: Kernel modules => mainline kernel

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Tue Feb 13 05:56:50 MST 2007

On Tuesday 13 February 2007 7:26 am, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> Still not grand.

Yes, granted, still not ideal, but a lot better than the original
estimates.  :-)

> And how will you connect analog channels to your PBX? why? connect an
> external channel bank through PRI, right? And why not add an extra
> local interface? Is it due to the high load of interrupts generated?

Why would you connect 1000 analogue channels to your PBX?  I'm not following
where you're going with this line of thought.

Myself, I'd use either a MaxTNT or AS5300 to connect 1000 channels to
Asterisk, but that's just me.  :-)

> You here that sort of recommendation as an argument on why one should
> not install three TDM400P cards.

Meh; analog is teh suck; I recommend T1 cards and channel banks for that any
day of th week.  *especially* for FXO.

> But if your main usage is PRI => VoIP, the extra 10ms would not be that
> critical. Chances are you have longer delays anyway.

True; perhaps it's time to dig out some code and see what happens if you
disable interrupts on Zaptel and use ztdummy with hires timers to poll real
hardware.  :-)

-A.