[asterisk-dev] Kernel modules => mainline kernel

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sun Feb 11 18:16:11 MST 2007

On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 04:56:29PM -0800, Paul Cadach wrote:
> +1. Keeping fastly growing asterisk

Zaptel. Not Asterisk. The interface of Zaptel to userspace has remained
relatively stable and fully backword-compatible since at least 1.0 (I
don't know any older version).

> /zaptel project in sync with much slower kernel is a headache.

Backporting is always possible. Have a look at RHEL.

> Also, zaptel is mostly asterisk-related project, so
> it is not required for 90% of Linux kernel users.

Zaptel is included in Debian, Gentoo and SUSE. Zaptel is not included in
Fedora (hence: in upcoming RHEL) for exactly this reason: it is not
getting into mainline kernel.

Maintaining support of all the range of kernels is getting a bigger and
bigger burdon.

Zaptel fails to build on latest kernels (because those kernels break a
few more interfaces in strange new ways). It cannot be fully-integrated
by distributions, as it is not part of their kernel.

You really don't need to be a kernel guru to install a driver of a
network adapter. It shoudn't be any different with Zaptel.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com