[asterisk-dev] New frame type for IAX: AST_FRAME_RAW ?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Feb 7 05:57:42 MST 2007

On Tuesday 06 February 2007 7:44 pm, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> And I'm saying that you shouldn't.  IAX (and any other intelligent
> protocol) should always know what it is transporting.  It is not
> acceptable to simply say that you're transporting "stuff".  It may not
> know directly how to decode something (such as an image) and it may
> not know the final destination.  But it should know _what_ that object
> (that it is transporting) is.

That seems awfully limiting; What is the difference between passing raw data
and encoding raw data into audio frames and sending them through an IAX2
host?  If it's not the final destination and it doesn't have to transcode,
it'll pass the data through without mangling it, or even without taking it
apart to make sure the data is valid.

How is this different?

-A.