[asterisk-dev] New frame type for IAX: AST_FRAME_RAW ?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Tue Feb 6 16:48:54 MST 2007

On Tuesday 06 February 2007 16:42, Roger Schreiter wrote:
> First of all, I would like to know, whether my attempt
> is the right way:
>
> I would either introduce a new frame type for IAX, e.g.
>
> #define AST_FRAME_RAW 11 /* digital raw data */
>
> When asterisk does link an ISDN data call channel to an
> IAX channel, it will send the ISDN data as IAX AST_FRAME_RAW
> frames, and will accept from the IAX channel only those
> AST_FRAME_RAW frames in order to send them to the ISDN channel.

Seems like a cheap hack to get around the fact that you have no idea
what you're sending across the wire.  I'd prefer some decoding on the
data to determine what information, exactly, you want transmitted over
the wire and to intelligently encode that information into the IAX
packets.  I'm not against adding new types, but I'd prefer types that
aren't so general as to encompass ANY data sent over the wire.

--
Tilghman