[asterisk-dev] [svn-commits] rizzo: trunk r93144 - /trunk/channels/console_video.c

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Sat Dec 15 05:27:33 CST 2007

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 10:22:43AM +0100, Johansson Olle E wrote:
> > Author: rizzo
> > Date: Fri Dec 14 18:30:15 2007
> > New Revision: 93144

> > Log:
> > Bring in video console support for chan_oss (and later chan_alsa too).
> > This is disabled in the default build, you need to explicitly enable
> > it
> > compiling with
> >
> > 	make COPTS=-DHAVE_VIDEO_CONSOLE
>
> Great stuff, Rizzo. Thanks!
>
> ...but why not use menuselect like we do for all other functions? Seems
> strange to have some options in "make" and some in menuselect.

Because i need to think a bit about the build/link infrastructure first;
the way I build the code now is a bit of a hack, #include'ing a C source
within another C source file.

Besides, I noticed (and recently saw another message about this) that
menuselect is taking forever in certain architectures (Solaris, Windows,
even on FreeBSD to some degree) and so I want to study menuselect in
more detail to understand what it really does and whether the algorithms
it uses are efficient.

More related issues:

console_video.c contains a lot of separate functions (video codec
API, video packet framing, management of video sources and sinks)
of general usefulness, that should be split out into separate
modules. In fact, the same should be done for managing the audio
card. In general, we should probably
devise an API for sources or sinks of ast_frames of various types,
so that we can open/close/setformat/getformat/start/stop them
in a device-independent way.

Also, I think we really need to devise some mechanism to support
modules made of multiple source/object files - we cannot continue
working with files with 10-20k lines as the many we have now.

	cheers
	luigi