[asterisk-dev] DESTDIR vs INSTALL_PATH ?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sun Dec 9 09:32:22 CST 2007

On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 07:10:18AM -0800, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 04:43:57PM +0200, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> > Why would you need that? DESTDIR is normally not a path that is used in
> > real life. Consider installing to a subtree for the purpose of
> > packaging.
>
> "normally" varies a lot from person to person. I normally use DESTDIR to install
> a newly built tree in some place (e.g. for testing), and hate it when asterisk.conf
> has completely bogus paths.

That is what INSTALL_PREFIX should do, in my book.

Alternatively, for a quick and dirty test under the built tree, use the
live_ast script I pointed to earlier. Works great for me.

> And those are likely to be wrong too, as i mentioned re. the INSTALL_PATH
>
> The real problem I have (as a developer, who I believe should be one of the well
> supported target for trunk) is that the asterisk binary is unable to run from the
> source tree, or to locate modules and config files relatively to its own location.

Normally I am able to run programs from the build tree directly.
Astrerisk has some modules it looks for in specific places (and in a
different layout than the one in the build tree). Which is why I wrote
live_ast.

I'm not sure exactly where the prefix might get used or hardwired in the
build stage itself (rather than in the install stage) and thus prefer
not to rely on changing it - only on changing values for the install
stage.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com