[asterisk-dev] Kill the user, kill the user!

Johansson Olle E oej at edvina.net
Thu Dec 6 13:05:33 CST 2007

Friends,

For many years, I've been working to remove the "type=user" and
"type=friend" from chan_sip. In 1.4 you can in fact
do everything you can do with a user with a peer. The only difference
is the way we match incoming calls.

* For users, we match the user object name with the From: username
(without the domain).
* For peers, we match on IP for incoming calls.

I've created a branch called "kill_the_user" that has no type=friend
or type=user, only peers.

Incoming calls are handled this way

* First, we match on peer object name with the From username
* Then we try to match on IP/Port
* If we can't match, we send to the context defined in the "general"
section in sip.conf or to "default".

If you can find any way this may give you problems, please inform me
now. Otherwise, I'm going
to test this branch with all of you. I don't foresee any problems
going ahead with this in trunk.

For backwards compatibility, we will accept "type=friend" and
"type=user" with a warning in 1.6,
then remove it totally. Old configurations will still work.

For realtime, realtime users will not be used any more.

I hope this will make chan_sip easier to understand and use.

Feedback is appreciated!

/Olle