[asterisk-dev] IAX codec selection

Stephen Davies stephen.l.davies at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 15:25:14 CDT 2007

On 16/08/07, Mihai Balea <mihai at hates.ms> wrote:
> The way I read the spec is that if you have a CODEC PREFS IE in your
> NEW message, it takes precedence over FORMAT and CAPABILITIES.  So in
> your case, the caller should arrange its codec prefs list to reflect
> its actual preferences (ilbc on top) and the callee should ignore the
> format and capabilities IEs and rely on the incoming codec prefs IE
> for its codec negotiation logic.

So I changed frame.c/chan_iax2.c to do it like that.  I move the
calling channel's current codec to the front of the codec prefs if it
is amongst the allowed codecs.

The result works just the way I want.

Does this need to be configurable?  If SIP does this by default then I
think IAX might as well do the same.

I'll tidy up, compare with the chan_sip logic to check its consistent
and post the patch on the tracker tomorrow.

Steve