[asterisk-dev] Asterisk makes the call but it does not know it did... Port Forwarding Problem?

Nicholas Blasgen nicholas at blasgen.com
Tue Aug 7 19:56:08 CDT 2007

The common answer these guys will give is "Subscribe to the Asterisk Users
group as this message isn't about development issues".

That said, you might want to turn on SIP debugging (sip set debug).  But
also, even though I know nothing about fixing these types of problems, it
seems really strange that you're contacting 255.255.255.255.  You might want
to make sure you can ping that address first and that there isn't any
problem with the NETMASK on your machine.  Also, if I remenber correctly
those really high IP addresses are normally Multi-Cast IP addresses.
Multicast never really made it in the world, but it's possible that Linux is
doing something strange with it or your router is doing something strange
because the internal IP is a special block.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Multicast

Nope, I take that back.  255.255.255.255 is reserved though for local
network broadcasting.  So Asterisk will never see a response back from a
255.255.255.255 IP address, it will only broadcast the message there.

On 8/7/07, nkhamis at cogeco.ca <nkhamis at cogeco.ca> wrote:

> Asterisk works perfectly and makes the call however I am recieving this
> message:
>
> -- Attempting call on Sip/999999999999999999 at 255.255.255.255:5060 for
> 170 at outbound:1 (Retry 1)
> -- Executing Answer("OutgoingSpoolFailed", "") in new stack
> == Spawn extension (outbound, failed, 1) exited non-zero on
> 'OutgoingSpoolFailed'
> -- Executing Answer("OutgoingSpoolFailed", "") in new stack
> == Spawn extension (outbound, h, 1) exited non-zero on
> 'OutgoingSpoolFailed'
> Aug  7 15:53:37 NOTICE[29216]: pbx_spool.c:269 attempt_thread: Call failed
> to go through, reason 0
>
> It says the call failed to go through however I received the call... any
> ideas? FYI: I am just testing right now and the
> linux box is behind a router, do I need to forward any ports using SIP?
>
> If this sounds like I do not know what I am talking about.. you are right,
> I am just a 17 year old with a thirst for
> experimentation.
>

> Thank You,
> Nick Khamis.

/Nick