[asterisk-dev] Jitterbuffer and FAXes with E1

Wed Aug 1 01:26:14 CDT 2007

Zoa wrote:
> Because the jitter buffer will never be size zero if its a fixed jitter
> buffer and will fluctuate if its a variable length jitter buffer.
> So whatever you choose, the timing will be altered.

I would think that a fixed jitter buffer is a fixed jitter buffer -
thus, only buffering voice frames adding a fixed delay (thus reducing
jitter but increasing delay) and do not change the audio data at all.

A dynamic jitter buffer of course is bad. Because of the dynamic
behavior the audio samples have to be played back sometimes
faster/sometimes slower.

Thus, why does static jitter buffer manipulate the audio?

@Martin: What happens if you call the Milliwatt() application via a
jitter-buffer link? Do you hear frequency changes?

regards
klaus