[asterisk-dev] Re: Unicode in Text frames - how to fix?

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Mon Apr 30 11:58:53 MST 2007

On 30 Apr 2007, at 18:20, Philipp Kempgen wrote:

> Tim Panton wrote:
>
>> On 30 Apr 2007, at 16:34, Benny Amorsen wrote:
>
>>> The fact that Java in its broken way decided on the worst possible
>>> encoding of all, UTF-16, shouldn't make us break IAX.
>>
>> :-) Ah, but it helps us find bugs!
>
> I've always had the feeling that Asterisk doesn't care too
> much about the charset. Use plain old asci and you're fine.
> Use anything else and the behavior is somehow "undefined".
> :)

Ah, but this particular undefined behavior has a small security hole
associated with it. Currently if you send a IAX text frame with no '\0'
byte in it, and the other end is also an IAX channel, asterisk sends
whatever is in memory between the end of the frame and the next '\0'

I don't know what happens to other end points, but is is a bug
(admittedly minor).

The question is how best to fix it, or should we just live with it....

Tim Panton

www.mexuar.net
www.westhawk.co.uk/