[asterisk-dev] auto blacklisting "script kiddies"

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Thu Apr 26 13:29:03 MST 2007

At 3:08 PM +0100 2007/4/26, Steve Kennedy wrote:

>Would it not be a good idea if Asterisk would auto-blacklist single IP
>addresses that attempted multiple SIP or other registrations.
>
>The attacks I've seen seem to be scripted and aren't particularly
>clever, so an auto back-off system or just lock from that IP address
>after a particular number of registration attempts. This could be
>specified as a config variable (as in number of attempts before lock).
>
>Locked IP's could then be manually unlocked, or unlocked after a time
>period (or in combination, locked wait some time, unlock and if more
>attempts continue, lock for a longer time period etc).
>
>This isn't going to defeat any kind of serious attack, but would deter
>the script kiddies out there. It also potentially wont work for ITSPs
>etc, but for smaller installs it could be just the solution?
>

>Steve
>
>--
>NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44-(0)7775 755503
>UK +44-(0)20 79932612 / US +1-(310)8577715 / Fax +44-(0)20 7483 2455
>Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/Mac stevekennedyuk / MSN steve at gbnet.net
>Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com

This topic was discussed some months ago.  Here is a reply
(unfinished and enclosed at the end of this comment section) that I
never actually hit the "Send" button on from last year's thread.
There does seem to be some value in allowing Asterisk to limit
packets, session requests, or dialogs based on some type of high/low
water mark for attempts by a certain IP address or CIDR-notated
network.

It seems that there needs to be a quick description of what we're trying to do:

   - define what is "bad"
   - define the scope of who is making "bad" requests
   - define the action (filter) that occurs when something "bad" is identified
   - define how long (time) or what circumstances (action) removes the filter
   - define how we log any of these criteria or actions

Anyway, I'd comment more on it, but that would mean that the email
would sit on my screen for another few months and probably never get
sent, so I'll send this half-baked comment stream out and let others
continue...

JT