[asterisk-dev] Extensions to RTPAUDIOQOS for SIP/other channels

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Mon Apr 23 18:40:13 MST 2007

I have a requirement to log the IP address of the actual RTP
endpoints to which a set of Asterisk servers is communicating.  Due
to the typical wide array of resellers, re-re-re-sellers, SRV
records, redirects, and any other confusions it is not possible to
accurately determine where the media flows based just on what is
intended, and often I find myself in the situation where the
vendor(s) claim that they can't help me to debug a particular problem
unless I give them the IP address of the RTP speakers (SDP data) on
both sides of the call and not just the SIP data.  It seems to me
that this would be useful for any media stream that uses RTP, and not
merely SIP.

I understand that during transfers and re-invites, this IP address of
the RTP far-end speaker may change.  However, it seems that the
RTPAUDIOQOS fields are at least a sane location in which to put the
RTP stats for a particular stream, and let the higher layer
signalling redirection argument happen at some later time (if this
not already resolved.)

So, two questions:

  1) Does RTPAUDIOQOS currently change back to zero when
transfers/re-invites occur?  (I could test this myself, I know, but
it would require a lot more acrobatics and hopefully someone just
knows.)

  2) Would anyone object to the addition of the "far-end" IP address
for a given RTP stream being included in the RTCPAUDIOQOS string
somewhere, or available otherwise within the dialplan?  If there is
any consensus that this might be useful, we'll code up and/or pay for
the patch to be submitted to the community.  This seems like a
trivial patch.

JT