[asterisk-dev] Asterisk freezes because cannot create no more sockets

Giorgio Incantalupo gincantalupo at fgasoftware.com
Mon Apr 16 01:11:39 MST 2007

Hi,
I have an Asterisk 1.2.9.1 on a Debian Sarge box with an ISDN beronet
card. Sometimes my Asterisk frezees and user complain they cannot
make/receive calls. I took a look inside messages log file and I saw
errors like this:

WARNING[21701] res_agi.c: unable to create fromast pipe: Too many open files
WARNING[2894] acl.c: Cannot create socket
ERROR[21971] rtp.c: Unable to allocate socket: Too many open files
WARNING[21971] chan_sip.c: Unable to create RTP audio  session: Too many
open files
ERROR[21971] chan_sip.c: Unable to build sip pvt data for '1' (Out of
memory)
NOTICE[21971] app_dial.c: Unable to create channel of type 'SIP' (cause
42 - Switching equipment congestion)
WARNING[2894] acl.c: Cannot create socket

Before restarting Asterisk I typed lsof getting a lot of lines like this
(about 1000 lines):
asterisk  31417 asterisk 1021w     FIFO        0,5              749130 pipe
asterisk  31417 asterisk 1022w     FIFO        0,5              749266 pipe
asterisk  31417 asterisk 1023w     FIFO        0,5              749285
pipe    <---last one of my output!

It seems that asterisk is creating pipes for some unknown (to me) reason.

Is there anybody who knows what is creating all these pipes? I'd like to
avoid a scheduled "restart now" every day (smells like Microsoft style...)
Consider that we have many PBXes but this strange phenomena seems to
happen only with ISDN (we have Asterisk Boxes with PRI cards but got no
problems at all even with a lot of calls per minutes).

Thanks for patience.

Giorgio Incantalupo