[asterisk-dev] Mantis Issue Review Meeting Notes

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Apr 6 10:52:15 MST 2007

Tim Panton wrote:

> If I understand the issue right, we need to be able to re-negotiate the
> parameters mid-call (change the quality measure on a codec for example)
> not just at setup time.

That is only part of the issue; the more immediate problem is that we an
Asterisk 'format' encompasses the codec, bitrate, and all other
parameters associated with the stream. However, for some audio codecs
(Speex and others), and all video codecs, there are many possible
combinations of these parameters.

This means that Asterisk needs to be able to identify a stream's codec
and all the other bits and negotiate those without treating them as a
separate 'format'.