[asterisk-dev] Voicemail imap storage.

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Sep 26 12:48:06 MST 2006

----- Sergey Okhapkin <sos at sokhapkin.dyndns.org> wrote:
> I will disagree here. The application should be capable to work with
> any imap
> server. I see nothing wrong with per-user connection, allowing to
> store
> voicemail messages on per-user or per-context based imap server. Why
> all
> voicemails should be stored on the same server? In most cases
> voicemail imap
> server configuration should be context-based.

You are welcome to disagree, and provide an alternative implementation. However, during the design of this new capability, we ran into significant issues making multiple IMAP connections scale well, handling password synchronization and others. This will not be a trivial change.

> However, it's the only c-client version marked as "stable" on gentoo
> linux.
> The "include" statement will not hurt later c-client versions also.

It doesn't matter what versions of c-client are marked 'stable' by Gentoo. There isn't any distribution we could find that properly packages c-client anyway, it's much easier to just build it from source along with Asterisk. Debian also only packages a very old version of c-client... and we gave up on being compatible with it.

> I will work on it also. That's why my original question was "Is
> somebody
> actively working on these issues", I don't want to reinvent the
> wheel.

Nobody is working on it right now, no, but it's an area of discussion that will probably come up at the Astricon Developer Summit. We have some ideas in mind for how to re-architect the storage layer and pull it out of app_voicemail completely.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Senior Software Engineer