[asterisk-dev] A rewrite of Asterisk::AGI

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu Sep 21 22:07:19 MST 2006

Hi

When one looks for "asterisk perl", the first hit is
http://asterisk.gnuinter.net/ , where one can find Games Golovich's
Asterisk perl modules. Most people tend to just use Asterisk::AGI of
those.

As we wanted to distribute software that uses Asterisk::AGI, we noticed
that the asterisk-perl tarball and the site lack any distribution
license of any form.  I tried to contact the author. So have others.
But he has not responded to any such request.

All Mr. Golovich has to do is simple: clarify the licensing terms of the
modules in the asterisk-perl distribution. People seem to assume that
just because the code is availble on the internet it may be freely
copied , modified and redistributed.

So in the recent week I have deceided that enough is enough and that I
have no hope of getting any reply from the author. Thus I started
reimplementing the modue Asterisk::AGI.

I attach a lousy implementation that is good enough to run the sample
script in its documentation. This should be something that better perl
coders should be able to hack. And I hope that it will give some
motivation to the author to response.

Over the time we rewrote some perl scrits in PHP to avoid relying on
Asterisk::AGI , and generally avoided the use of perl for either the
manager interface of AGI. The Asterisk::Manager module of asterisk-perl
seems to be broken, and yet noone can submit patches, because the
development is halted.

Tzafrir Cohen         sip:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
icq#16849755          iax:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406          jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org