[asterisk-dev] Asterisk Appliance?

Denis Smirnov ds at seiros.ru
Fri Sep 15 19:57:47 MST 2006

On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 09:23:45PM -0500, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

KPF> Not quite. First, according to the Sun OpenSPARC web site, nothing has yet been released, and when it is, it will be under 'an OSI-approved license'. There is no mention of the GPL.

Hm. Sometime ago was done first T1-base processor (S1), that is T1 with
only one core.

I think that OpenSPARC web site was not updated for long time. T1 was
released some months ago.

KPF> Second, what they are open sourcing is the Verilog design of the CPU and the associated tools. The actual implementations they manufacture (the chip masks, etc) are most definitely not open source. That means if you want to produce the same CPU, you can use their Verilog as a starting point, but you will have a LOT of work to do to make an actual functioning and manufacturable processor that meets the design specifications.

Yes, you are right.

KPF> In other words, yes, it is (or will be) an open source design, but the chips that Sun produces and sells are _NOT_ open source.

Yes. But... Main open source idea is not "I can give your product and sell
it", but "I can give your product and make some modifications". For this
purpose chip masks etc not needed, but Verilog designs needed.

JID: ds at im.seiros.ru
ICQ: 58417635 (please, use jabber, if you can)

http://freesource.info/