[asterisk-dev] Re: Note about mpg123

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Fri Sep 15 18:54:17 MST 2006

Denis Smirnov wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 01:14:17PM -0400, Matthew Rubenstein wrote:
>
> MR> 	True. But lots of users already have music for hold encoded in MP3.
> MR> Converting it to native formats eats either storage space or CPU (on the
> MR> fly conversion). And prohibits using streamed radio, like from a central
> MR> LAN server, without extra conversion CPU.
>
> disk space now cheap. And mp3 with lesser then 64k bitrate sounds very
> poorly. Decoding mp3 to G.711 may use _less_ disk space.
>
> MR> 	Does the current discussion indicate that Asterisk is moving away from
> MR> supporting MP3 for MoH in future releases? Or just sticking with an
> MR> obsolescent mpg123?
>
> There is format_mp3 in addons.

So what would you suggest for an SGI Altix 350 that would be the heart
of a call center.  Callers need a separate stream so that they listen to
the beginning of our message on hold while queued and don't just jump to
the middle of the message.

MPG123 does not even compile on Itanium2.  We may have as many as 100 or
more calls queued at a given time.  I want the least impact on the
CPU/Memory/IO.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro