[asterisk-dev] Asterisk Appliance?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri Sep 15 10:43:12 MST 2006

Steve Kennedy wrote:

>On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 12:01:48PM -0500, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>

>>----- Steve Underwood <steveu at coppice.org> wrote:
>>

>>>I think the schematic itself has copyright, like any other document.
>>>Its
>>>the circuit which the schematic describes which has no copyright
>>>protection. This is like not being able to xerox a page from an atlas,
>>>but sketching the map it contains is OK. For practical purposes, this
>>>means much the same thing as there being no copyright on the
>>>schematic.
>>>However, I think its important to get these details right, or they
>>>seem
>>>confusing. Why would this document itself not be protected, while all
>>>others are?
>>>

>>I (not being a lawyer either) believe you are correct; the same applies to PC board layouts. The layout itself is a copyrightable work, but the circuit description it embodies is not. As Robin already stated, ideas cannot be copyrighted, only the expression of the idea can be copyrighted.
>>

>Think of the Sparc V CPU (I think it's the V), Sun open sourced it's
>design - well they actually open sourced the layout code (Verilog or
>some other chip design package). Whether that's actually any use to
>anybody is another matter.

Things like VHDL and Verilog code are treated like programming language
code. They are protecetd by copyright, like any computer program. This
leads to oddities, like you can't protect a board full of logic chips,
but you can protect the contents of an FPGA which performs exactly the
same function as that board.

Steve