[asterisk-dev] Re: Note about mpg123

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Fri Sep 15 10:14:17 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-15 at 09:57 -0700, asterisk-dev-request at lists.digium.com
wrote:
> Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:50:45 -0500 (CDT)
> From: "Kevin P. Fleming" <kpfleming at digium.com>
> Subject: Re: [asterisk-dev] Re: Note about mpg123
>
> ----- Tony Mountifield <tony at softins.clara.co.uk> wrote:
> > As I understand it, file-based native MoH is no less efficient than
> > any
> > other kind of file playback, particularly if the MoH files are
> > available
> > in all required native formats. And if there are many callers
> > listening
> > to the same MoH files, there is a good chance the wanted part may
> > already
> > be in the Linux filesystem cache.
>
> Tony is right; native file MOH is exactly the same as just using
> Playback() in terms of performance and system load.

	True. But lots of users already have music for hold encoded in MP3.
Converting it to native formats eats either storage space or CPU (on the
fly conversion). And prohibits using streamed radio, like from a central
LAN server, without extra conversion CPU.

	Does the current discussion indicate that Asterisk is moving away from
supporting MP3 for MoH in future releases? Or just sticking with an
obsolescent mpg123?

--

(C) Matthew Rubenstein