[asterisk-dev] Asterisk Appliance?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Sep 15 09:56:56 MST 2006

----- Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 07:03:19AM -0500, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>
> > (although I fail to see how the GPL applies to a piece of hardware)
>

> http://zapatatelephony.org/

You completely missed my point. The GPL as written very explicitly refers to "program" as the work being covered by the license. Sure, it also says 'or other work', but a piece of hardware is quite difficult to ship with the 'source in its preferred form for editing', since the tools required to 'edit' a hardware design are not common (and frequently commercial, non-open-source tools).

Not a big deal... I just don't see how the GPL is a good license for a hardware design, but that's not really important :-)

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Senior Software Engineer