[asterisk-dev] Asterisk Appliance?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Thu Sep 14 17:49:58 MST 2006

Robin Getz wrote:

> http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=1999-06-22-005-05-NW-LF
>
> While I don't agree with Richard on a philosophical level - just
> because something is hard, does not mean it is "not vitally important"
> - that doesn't change the fact that the US government believes that
> schematics (an illustration of an idea) are non-copyrightable works.
>
> http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#wnp
> http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-protect.html#idea
>
> If you can't copyright something, you can not release it under a
> copyright licence - which is what the GPL is. (at least in the US -
> your jurisdiction may be different).

I think the schematic itself has copyright, like any other document. Its
the circuit which the schematic describes which has no copyright
protection. This is like not being able to xerox a page from an atlas,
but sketching the map it contains is OK. For practical purposes, this
means much the same thing as there being no copyright on the schematic.
However, I think its important to get these details right, or they seem
confusing. Why would this document itself not be protected, while all
others are?

Steve