[asterisk-dev] internal_timing on 1.2? clock drift?

Daniel Pocock daniel at readytechnology.co.uk
Tue Sep 12 08:09:19 MST 2006

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

>----- Daniel Pocock <daniel at readytechnology.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Is the internal_timing patch likely to be backported into a future
>>1.2.x
>>release, or do people just have to wait for 1.4?
>>

>We do not add new functionality to release branches, except in cases where it is necessary to solve security/DoS vulnerabilities.

I would consider this to be more of a bug fix than a new feature - with
systems like ENUM now starting to become more common, people will
potentially use their Asterisk to communicate with a multitude of remote
peers, not just one or two SIP providers.  It simply can't be assumed
that every one of those remote peers will have silence suppression disabled.

Quite a few people have had a bad encounter with silence suppression
within their first week of using Asterisk, depending upon their SIP
gateway, their handsets, and how closely they had read the
documentation.  Some have probably just given up, or decided to wait
another 6 months before having another go.  Surely that isn't good
publicity for Digium's flagship product?

The more conservative Asterisk deployer will probably refrain from
enabling ENUM lookups until this issue is resolved - a sad situation
when you consider the fact that we should be trying to push ENUM and SIP
as the superior, open alternatives to a proprietary VoIP network that is
quickly becoming the defacto standard for the consumer.