[asterisk-dev] Open source G.729 and G.723.1 release for 1.2 and 1.4

Daniel Pocock daniel at readytechnology.co.uk
Fri Sep 8 12:43:44 MST 2006

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

>On Thursday 07 September 2006 16:30, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>

>>The Intel IPP based open source release of G.729 and G.723.1 have now
>>been updated to compile with the following versions of Asterisk:
>>

>The documentation doesn't seem to match, though.  :-(

I haven't updated the changelog stuff at the top of the document, but
there are some changes in the document itself.

>>Please feel free to submit bug reports if this code causes any trouble
>>for you.
>>

>If I try to build from the documentation (doc-svn7.txt), I find I have to
>install the newer (v5.1) IPP library from Intel, and then install the 4.1.2

I didn't have that issue - did the IPP installer complain, or was it
related to the IPP license file, or something else?

>referenced in the document.  Step 4 (apply the patch) also fails, since your
>patch does not start in the ipp_sample directory, but rather wants you to be

My mistake in running svn diff from the wrong location.

>in ipp_sample/speech-coding/.  Step 4a doesn't specify that makeopts is in
>the Asterisk source directory.  There's a missing step asking you to set
>IPPROOT (to /opt/intel/ipp41/ia32_itanium) And finally, step 5b seems to fail
>for me:

a) I have my own makeopts, should be included in the patch - it's not
the same as the Asterisk makeopts, it is just used to specify compiler
optimizations and paths

b) IPPROOT should be in ipp_sample/speech-coding/makeopts

>- My version of gcc does not support -mtune (no big deal)

I will mention the use of gcc 4 in the documentation.

>- I get 8 warnings regarding this:
>Makefile:126: target `samples/util_e.o' given more than once in the same rule.
>
>And the build  ultimately bombs out:
>gcc -I./include -I./vm/include -I/opt/intel/ipp41/ia32_itanium/include
>-include /opt/intel/ipp41/ia32_itanium/tools/staticlib/ipp_w7.h -D__unix__
>-Dlinux -Dlinux32 -DNDEBUG -DLINUX32 -DNO_SCRATCH_MEMORY_USED -c -O6
>-march=pentium4 -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer  -osamples/codec_g729.o
>samples/codec_g729.c
>In file included from /usr/include/asterisk/utils.h:38,
>                 from /usr/include/asterisk/module.h:31,
>                 from samples/codec_g729.c:24:
>/usr/include/asterisk/strings.h:264: error: parse error before "__extension__"
>/usr/include/asterisk/strings.h:264: error: parse error before ';' token
>(with a ton more after that, but that's the start of it all)

It needs a proper asterisk.h - on Debian, asterisk.h is
/usr/include/asterisk.h -  I saw some messages similar to that when I
had not properly included asterisk.h, so that may be an issue.

Can you try running the pre-compiler only and looking at it's output and
see if you get any further hints about the above messages, as it looks
like they come from some kind of macro expansion.

Thanks for all the feedback, I have now put up a new edition of the
documentation and diff.