[asterisk-dev] Digium's response to posting of G.729 and G.723source code

Dan Austin Dan_Austin at Phoenix.com
Wed Sep 6 16:23:56 MST 2006

The good news is that it does load (SVN-r41990)

The bad news is that a G729 call into a MeetMe segfaults,
and a call that requires transcoding  G729<->ULAW produces
only nasty static.  Using the I686/32bit build on a PIII

This is with the packetization patches, and I will try a
clean checkout shortly, but 1.2.X with packetization and
G729 works.

This might be expected, but gdb bt full on the resulting
core does not produce any meaningful information.

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Kevin P.
Fleming
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 3:58 PM
Subject: [asterisk-dev] Digium's response to posting of G.729 and
G.723source code

On September 4, 2006 an anonymous poster sent a message to these mailing
lists containing a link to a package of source code claiming that it was
"Digium's G.729 and G.723 codecs".

As far as we can tell, that statement was not accurate.  While the code
posted appears to contain some of the same functionality as the G.729
modules we use, it is not the code used to produce our G.729 binary
codec modules, and we do not offer a G.723 binary codec module at all.

In addition, we are not certain of the exact origin of the code, and so
we are concerned that the package of source code that was posted may
contain code from third parties that is not licensed for redistribution,
or not licensed under the terms that the posting suggested would apply
to it. We have therefore removed the links to the package from our
mailing list archives.  We recognize the importance of the integrity of
these archives, but we do not wish to facilitate violation of anyone's
copyrights or license agreements.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Senior Software Engineer