[asterisk-dev] Various things

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Mon Sep 4 06:49:12 MST 2006

Tilghman Lesher a écrit :

>On Monday 04 September 2006 03:41, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
>

>>Regarding realtime, why make it DB specific only? IMHO it would be
>>nicer to have a network interface so you could write a server to
>>authenticate against anything. It could use some well defined XML
>>format for data exchange (which is what XML is actually for).
>>

>I think you missed the ODBC layer, which allows you to connect to
>pretty much any database worth connecting to.

I specifically said "why make it DB specific only"? My point is it
doesn't need to be tied to a DB. I could want to it authenticate /
autorize / account against PAM, or against a file system, or radius,
etc. If there was a network protocol with a clean, well defined API (a
la FastAGI) it would be a breeze to do.

I guess I can try to write an ODBC server and couple it with a SQL
parser... not very nice though, and prone to bugs if the SQL queries
change too much with versions of Asterisk / ARA.