[asterisk-dev] Building an embedded Asterisk PBX

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Sat Sep 2 05:49:33 MST 2006

On Sat, 2 Sep 2006, David Rowe wrote:

> > Can I ask.. are the FXO and FXS modules off the shelf or custom?
>
> Sure. They are custom designs (i.e. we entered the schematics, laid out
> the PCBs etc), but the circuits are pretty much straight out of the
> Silicon Labs data sheets.  The schematics/PCB designs are on my site if
> u would like to check them out.

With regards to echo cancellation, it is my opinion that it is 100%
neccessary to have hardware based echo cancellation on any piece of
hardware that will be deployed in a customer scenario. In all of my
experiences, I have finally come to the conclusion that the Software Echo
cancelling routines in Asterisk are just not acceptable enough to deal
with, and eliminate all forms of echo. I.E. some echo and artifacts always
remain. As a result, I have made the decision to deploy all hardware based
Echo cancelling cards.

Do you think the blackfin STAMP has enough horsepower to enable carrier
grade echo cancelling? Or is there an easy way to include a DSP based Echo
canceller into the system?

                             KP-216-121-ST