[asterisk-dev] Re: Pthread wrapper updates

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Tue Oct 31 12:50:51 MST 2006

On 26 Oct 2006, at 18:39, SF Markus Elfring wrote:

>> Furthermore, on the topic of this thread, I can't imagine *any* case
>> where if we detect some type of error, that aborting the application
>> is the right thing to do.
> I say that the program execution can not continue to correctly run
> after a lock or unlock operation failed because an absolutely
> required resource could not be acquired or released. Which
> reactions would you expect if a similarly important operation like
> a memory allocation does not succeed?

Sure, so a 'new' call fails (possibly horribly), but any in-progress
calls will continue until they
need to access the problematic resource (possibly never). If you
abort, then all in progress
calls fail needlessly.

(As someone said to me once - "We are doing software engineering
here, not computer science." )

Tim Panton

www.mexuar.com