[asterisk-dev] zaptel helper script

John Lange j.lange at epic.ca
Fri Oct 27 16:59:19 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 22:23 +0200, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> > You lost me. There is no "unload" in /etc/init.d/zaptel. If there needs
> > to be one it could just be an alias of "stop".
> >
> > If there is different logic required for "stop" on different
> > distributions then it should be incorporated into the script not made
> > into a separate file.
>
> I'll take an exception here: I don't think that zaptel modules should
> be unloaded on system shutdown.

Just because there is a script in init.d does not mean you have to call
it at shutdown.

> There are also other opportunities in which you need to unload them. Are
> you expected to call '/etc/init.d/zaptel stop' ?

Yes. Why not? I think that is the way most people would expect it to
work.

> And if the service is already marked as "stopped"? (this is how the
> things are in e.g. Gentoo)
>
> You see, an init.d script is not the right place for it. Not to mention
> the fact that init.d script*s* are distro-specific.

I think init.d scripts are the right place for it. The scripts are
distro specific but the distros are typically not so different that you
can't incorporate a little switch-case logic.

John