[asterisk-dev] CLI: list vs show ? (Re: [asterisk-commits] oej: branch 1.4 r46216 - /branches/1.4/channels/chan_sip.c)

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Wed Oct 25 14:01:51 MST 2006

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 11:52:48AM -0500, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>> Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>>> so what was the agreement, that "show" produces a single
>>> object and "list" produces a list with a header ?
>>
>> "show" is for looking at 'single objects', even if that single object
>> contains numerous details to be shown that look like a list. "list" is
>> for looking at multiple objects of the same type.
>>
>> Or something like that :-)
>
> boy i hate fuzzy logic :)

While on the subject of fuzzy and hate, I'm not a big fan of the new
command syntax. "Noun verb" just doesn't cut it for an old VMS C
programmer like me :)

Back in the day, it was a cardinal sin to name something "noun_verb()"
instead of the "right sounding" "verb_noun()."

Consider "user_delete()" versus "delete_user()." The first could be
misinterpreted as "a function that lets users delete things" whereas the
second seems obvious (to me) that it will "delete a user."

I know that's C, not English, but look at other command line parsers:

GDB:
 	show args

MySQL:
 	show tables

SQL*Plus:
 	show user

What was the inspiration for changing the command syntax?

Thanks in advance,