[asterisk-dev] mutex type selection

SF Markus Elfring elfring at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Oct 25 03:48:40 MST 2006

Hello,

1. The preprocessor symbol "PTHREAD_RECURSIVE_MUTEX_INITIALIZER_NP" is checked in the source file "http://svn.digium.com/view/asterisk/trunk/include/asterisk/lock.h?rev=43953&view=markup". I would appreciate if the existence of the symbol "PTHREAD_MUTEX_RECURSIVE_NP" that will be assigned to "AST_MUTEX_KIND" will also be checked. The compilation should be aborted by an error directive if it is not present.

2. I guess that there are many places in the source code where normal mutexes are more appropriate. I am interested in feedback on this detail for improved efficiency.
http://lambdacs.com/cpt/FAQ.html#Q119
http://www.usenix.org/events/bsdcon02/full_papers/baldwin/baldwin_html/node6.html#SECTION00062000000000000000
http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.FAQ.html#Q14
http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=8211