[asterisk-dev] Re: https support now in trunk (please read)

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Mon Oct 23 23:40:43 MST 2006

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 05:41:00PM -0500, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > well, it was trivial :)
> > see the team/rizzo/astobj2 branch, file main/http.c
>
> 'man fopencookie' on my Debian unstable system produces an error. Also,
> there is no way that 'fopencookie' is part of glibc if it involves SSL
> (via OpenSSL), because the glibc maintainers would never make it
> dependent on a non-GPL library.

yes there is no fopencookie manpage, but the call is present e.g. on
the linux box where you gave me an account, and where i actually
tested that the code was correctly handling https.
You can try for yourself.

Note that fopencookie(), as well as funopen(), has no relation with
ssl itself: they are only wrappers that let you install your own
handlers (functions - that's what the fun in funopen() stands for) to do the
low-level I/O on a FILE, replacing read write seek and close.

On passing, i have to say that whoever wrote fopencookie() seems to be
infected ny NIH syndrome: the API of the handlers is exactly the
same as those for funopen(), which dates back to 1990 or so according to this
post from the author:

http://archives.devshed.com/forums/c-c-134/can-we-emulate-a-char-buffer-to-a-file-371422.html

and even the name has been clearly inspired by funopen() (cookie is the
first argument to funopen!) so i wonder what was the reason for
changing names, other than NIH...

	cheers
	luigi