[asterisk-dev] Asterisk + MRCP for Speech Resources (TTS / ASR) ?

Josh McAllister josh at singletouch.net
Mon Oct 23 12:05:06 MST 2006

I'm curious if any standards are being followed with regard to
implementing Speech Recognition, and Text to Speech. MRCP seems to be
the prevailing standard for abstracting voice resources and I notice
that LumenVox, and Cepstral both support MRCP.

Furthermore there is some work going on over at
http://www.speechforge.org/ to provide an OSS MRCP implementation called
Cairo. Cairo is currently capable of wrapping FreeTTS and Sphinx4. I
know a lot of work has already been done to integrate LumenVox, but I do
wonder what direction was taken, and if there is any possibility of
steering this way?

Alternatively, would it be feasible to develop an * <-> MRCP plugin /
middleware using the existing Speech API? It seems like that might
bridge the gap for now, and really open the door for users to choose
from a variety of ASR software.

Side question -- I saw that Cepstral is now listed on Digium Partners
page, have I missed the announcement for integrated support, or is this
a hint of something to come? If this has not yet been implemented, has
any thought been given toward implementing via MRCP?

Thanks,

Josh McAllister