[asterisk-dev] Potential change to outgoing codec offers (new topic)

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Wed Oct 18 21:29:09 MST 2006

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> ----- Brian Candler <B.Candler at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>>Ah, that's more sophisticated than I was thinking, which was simply
>>that you
>>wouldn't offer G.729 in the second INVITE when _no_ G.729 licences
>>have been
>>installed at all (i.e. the common out-of-the-box situation)
>

> Hmm... hadn't considered that. One possible way to do that would be to filter the list of codecs we offer in the outgoing channel (not specific to SIP/RTP) to only the ones available on the incoming channel plus those we for which we have a 'codec-to-slin' translator registered for. We could then modify the G.729 codec to not register itself if there are no licenses available, and potentially even dynamically unregister/reregister itself as license availability changes (this is not a perfect solution because it doesn't allow 'reservation' of licenses).
>
> It's pretty late in the game to make a change like this for Asterisk 1.4, but I suspect given the number of people that experience this problem every day it's likely the community would be happy if we did it.
>
> Thoughts?

My thought is that it is a good idea not to be overly pedantic about
things like this, especially when the change (such as this one) offers a
very high benefit to the community.

This developer community is a bunch of pretty smart cookies, and IMO
wonderful ideas that arise unexpectedly should be carefully considered
on their merits, and when judged to be of great value and little risk of
causing instability, rolled into the code.

MO, decidedly very H.

B.

believed to be clean.