[asterisk-dev] SIP compliance question

Tue Oct 17 06:58:56 MST 2006

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

>>> thanks for any help
>>
>> btw, this is not the realm, they mean SIP domain. "Realm" is only used in
>> authentication. Please ask them to read the RFC :-)
>>
>> The Swyx server seems to me to have some strange things in their
>> implementation.
>
> Anyway, is it true as they say that Asterisk is supposed to use its own
> IP in the INVITE?

Maybe in the From header, but not in the request URI. The host part in
the request URI (initial INVITE) reflects the domain which is
authoritative/responsible for this destination. Thus, if user A from
domainA sends to user B from domainB a SIP message, the request URI in
the message sent from domainA to domainB must be sip:foobar at domainB.
Note: domainB may be a FQDN or an IP address (with or without port).

If the SWYX server requrires the request URI to contain Asterisk's IP
address, then this is very strange. (Have you ever seen a HTTP GET
request where the URI in the GET line is the IP address of your web
browser? The request URI is the destination).

regards
klaus