[asterisk-dev] Regarding SIP performance

Steve Langstaff steve.langstaff at citel.com
Mon Oct 16 06:20:33 MST 2006

leg INVITE has already offered a bunch of codecs to the second phone,
some of which the first phone doesn't support, but with SDP pointing at
the first phone. We don't learn which one the second phone chooses until
it's too late.

> Some possible ideas:
>
> * Probe the second phone with OPTIONS first, to discover what codecs
it supports. Adds latency to every call.

Bear in mind that you might be issuing regular OPTIONs messages to the
phone anyway, for 'qualify' operation - could these be modified to be
"OPTIONS with SDP" to get an idea of the codec capabilites of the phone?