[asterisk-dev] bug or feature (use From: instead of Digest username to match INVITE) ?

Johansson Olle E olle at voop.com
Sun Oct 15 23:32:22 MST 2006

15 okt 2006 kl. 14.09 skrev Dinesh Nair:

> On 10/12/06 22:04 Jay R. Ashworth said the following:
>> How do you fix it here, though?
>
> as suggested in the earlier thread, one workaround was to use
> different namespaces for the SIP devices and for extensions. a
> suggestion was to use the mac addr for the SIP device, thus
> creating two namespaces.
>
> another, which is where i think luigi and i agree on, is to use the
> digest username for the authentication between two asterisks over a
> SIP trunk instead of the From: header.
>
> -
I agree too, and that's why we have realm based auth - which only
solves one side of the problem. In codename-pineapple, there's
going to be a "trunk" definition that works on a combination of SIP
domains and ACLs. Authentication will be handled by realm.

What I'm worried about is trying to fix it in the current code, since
it will change quite a few things that are needed today,
and break backwards compatibility. I've tried, but failed, in
chan_sip2 :-) and that was when I was beginning to start thinking
of chan_sip3, that will break backwards compatibility :-)

/O