[asterisk-dev] Speech Recognition

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Fri Oct 13 14:08:44 MST 2006

Stephan A. Edelman wrote:
> Hello,
> However, I have noticed several problems with the Speech API:
>
> (1)     When loading another grammar, it still appears to be processing
> voice frames from a previous recognition cycle. This is noticeable as
> SpeechBackground() is silent immediately when called without playing the
> sound file and even after SpeechStart() is called again. I have been
> able to correct this problem by introducing *ast_clear_flag(speech,
> AST_SPEECH_QUIET);* in the ast_speech_start() function of
> res/res_speech.c, as follows:

I agree with this too, fixed in 1.4 and trunk. A new 1.2 patch should be
available from Lumenvox next week as well.

> (2)     SpeechCreate() does not seem to report the correct status
> (${SPEECH(status)}) when using the Lumenvox engine and there are no more
> available licenses. This causes a subsequent call to
> SpeechActivateGrammar() to drop the call. In fact, it doesn’t make sense
> to me at all to have any of the Speech…() functions return -1 and cause
> the call to be hung up. This doesn’t allow for any DTMF fallback schemes.
>
> Can we have the Speech…() functions in apps/app_speech_utils.c set the
> ${SPEECH(status)} variable appropriately instead? Any comments?

I just took care of this in 1.4 and trunk. Give it a whirl.

> (3)     SpeechBackground(Sound File|timeout) should treat a zero timeout
> as meaning “timeout immediately after playing the sound file”. This
> allows you to call SpeechBackground() back-to-back without any delay.
> Presently, a zero timeout means that it waits indefinitely for the
> user’s voice response. If no timeout is specified as a parameter then it
> should behave with an indefinite timeout.

Ideally I would like to move this application to use the file API for
all this stuff instead of having to recreate some of the logic.

Final note:

If there's any other comments you have please do reply, I want the
speech API to evolve to the needs of both the developers and the users.

--
Joshua Colp
Software Developer