[asterisk-dev] show vs. list

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Thu Oct 12 22:25:30 MST 2006

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 06:36:32PM -1000, sam at bingner.com wrote:
> I recently was looking at the changes made in 1.4 to add 'list' in
> certain instances over 'show' in the CLI.   I would suggest
> standardizing on 'show' for anything that's displaying information, be
> it a list or not.  The addition of the option to have 'list'

i find the difference confusing too, maybe it's because i was too used
to the old interface...

I am also not particularly happy about the addition of prefixes
("console", "core") to several comands, that make it harder to type
them. Here I probably understand the motivations a bit more - reduce
the chance of namespace collisions.

In truth, i have to say that i did not follow the discussion (if
any) that led to these changes so there might have been good reasons
for them. Still, i think your final comment is very appropriate:

	the goal of the CLI is to be as simple and intuitive as possible

cheers
luigi

on the other hand i have not followed the list closely when the change
was made, maybe there was some good argument